Huh? What? I have a BLOG? Like, the kind I have to actively post on? You mean all those blog posts I compose in my head while breastfeeding/showering/rocking Sadie to sleep don’t get automatically sent from my neurons to the Internet?
Also, where the fuck are my automatically adjusting high-tops? It’s the year 2009, people! Let’s step up the technology!
I apologize for my lack of posting, but as I approach the end of my maternity leave (WAH), I’ve been trying to absorb every last little moment at home with that effing adorable child of mine.
So I hope you’ll forgive me as I throw together a random selection of thoughts. Some of them are even NON-baby-related! Look at me, with my broad interests!
- What’s with all these dead people? So, yesterday when Brad texted me that Farrah Fawcett had died (he knows that I’m woefully out of touch these days because I choose to spend my precious TV time watching re-runs of The King of Queens instead of CNN), I replied “Oh no! Who will be the third?” because of Ed McMahon earlier in the week and the whole celebrity-deaths-happen-in-threes things, and by 6pm, WOW. Michael Jackson. WTF?! I have to admit I feel kind of relieved for him, you know? The man had a turbulent life – some of it his doing, and some of it not. I just think he got to a point of no return with the whole OMG SO WEIRD thing, and before you knew it he was dangling newborns over balconies and wearing pajamas in court. Actually, if you want to read something much more eloquent on MJ’s death, please go here. I definitely can’t say it better than that.
- Sadie has been sleeping through the night. Yep, that’s THROUGH THE NIGHT, as in 9:30 pm-ish to 7:30 am-ish. This, I believe, is largely thanks to Shelli’s ingenious Miracle Blanket suggestion. And that is all I will say, because I’m afraid if I gush too much about this wondrous thing, the universe will hear and snatch it away from me. And I really don’t want those dark circles under my eyes to come back.
- I am trying to not be such a spazz about taking Sadie out in the world. It’s not that we don’t take her out, because we do, but it’s hard for my neurotic self not to imagine all kinds of worst-case scenarios during said outings. I figure the only way to get over this is to keep taking her out. It was in this spirit that I decided to take Sadie with me to the coffee shop two blocks from our house on Monday morning. I put her in the Moby wrap and off we went, with me trying to be all LA LA LA THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL AND I AM NOT OVER-THINKING IT, and it worked. She was totally content during the walk, while I waited in line, and as the nice coffee lady made my latte. Then, as I was exiting the coffee shop, BOILING hot latte in hand, she spit-up, shot her legs straight out of the sling, arched her back and started wailing. I immediately broke out into a cold sweat and tried to one-handedly maneuver her back into the sling and wipe the barf off her face with my sleeve while NOT spilling lava-hot coffee on her tender little self. I got her somewhat stabilized and BOOKED IT back to the house. About a half-block from my front door, she fell dead asleep. Heh. Tomorrow, we take her to the zoo with our friends and their 15-month-old. I fully expect to have some sort of poop-related crisis in the monkey house, because WHY NOT.
- I can’t stop buying/eating this organic fat free Greek yogurt they have at my grocery store, even though it is TWO DOLLARS per miniature cup, and I will have a lot of explaining to do whenever we can’t afford to send Sadie to college (but I will have lovely, rock-solid, calcium-enriched bones with which to crush her academic dreams).
- Rodger is doing very well in hospice. Thanks for all your kind thoughts. The kindness of all the hospice workers is astounding.
- I stopped taking my breastfeeding-friendly birth control pills. No, I am not looking to get pregnant again right now (OMG), but after almost a solid year of yo-yo-ing hormones, and after a week and a half on the pills (which were making me break out and also making me even more of a crazy ho-bag), Brad and I decided ENOUGH. Not to mention that just about everything I read online about the pills said that it was super super suuuuuuuper easy to get pregnant while taking them (and my midwife told me the exact same thing), meaning we’d probably have to use a back-up method of birth control anyway, so why not cut out the middle man and just use the back-up method as the ONLY method? I realize this may sound idiotic, and like the perfect way to end up with ten kajillion babies, living in a shoe, etc. etc…but I am just saying no on this one.
And c’mon. Another one of these, even if it’s an accident? Not so bad. Not even by a long shot.
OK, Internet, go have a good weekend. I hope to post more (and more coherently) next week.
Entry filed under: Gobble-gobble.